We have five copies of John Walker’s latest book Digging Deep in the Garden: Book one (RRP £4.99) to give away, plus five £25 National Garden Gift Vouchers to be won in our easy-to-enter competition to find Britain’s most green and eco-friendly gardening tips.
Followers of John Walker’s ‘renewable gardening’ blog will know that his posts are often packed with tips and ideas to make our greenhouses and gardens more earth-friendly and in harmony with the natural world around us. From powering your greenhouse on free and renewable sunshine, to potting up dandelions to attract pollinating insects, or using found materials to make simple nesting stations for wild, solitary bees, John’s posts encourage you to think outside the (gardening) box.
About the prizes
Digging Deep in the Garden: Book one is the first collection of John Walker’s thought-provoking and cage-rattling essays, which dig deep into the subsoil of gardening to explore its relationship with the natural world. John’s book is brain food for gardeners, no matter how green their fingers.
It covers topics as diverse as celebrity ‘wobbles’ over climate change, the joy of ‘slow composting’, the need to power down our greenhouses, and how to feed your soil without resorting to heaps of steaming manure. Written in John’s engaging, often humorous style, one reviewer called it ‘an intelligent reminder of the joys and responsibilities of gardening’.
National Garden Gift Vouchers can be redeemed at over 2,000 garden centres and garden retail outlets nationwide. They are the perfect prize for anyone with a garden or allotment, who’s keen to turn their growing greener.
How to enter
For your chance to win one of the five prize bundles, simply go to the ‘comments’ section below and tell us what you consider to be your most eco-friendly gardening tip. Give as much detail as possible, and explain how your tip benefits your garden (and the world around us). Perhaps you’ve built a greenhouse from scratch using recycled materials, found the perfect recipe for home-made peat-free compost, or devised an inventive way to harvest and store water on your plot. We want to hear all about it!
The five winning tips will be chosen by John Walker and published on this blog.
Note: You don’t need to sign up to enter; just type your tip into the comment box below, enter your name and email address (this will not be shared) and tick the ‘I’d rather post as a guest’ box.
Terms and conditions
- This competition will run from 10am GMT on 1st March 2016 until 10am GMT on 30th March 2016. Any entries made after this time will not be considered.
- There are five prizes in total, and each prize is made up of one £25 National Garden gift voucher, and one copy of John Walker’s book, Digging Deep in the Garden: Book One.
- The lucky winners will be announced on social media no later than Midday on 31st March 2016, and will be selected by John Walker based upon the eco-friendly gardening tips they have supplied in the comments below. Hartley Botanic will contact the winners on the same day.
- There will be five winners in total, and John Walker’s decision is final.
- The competition is open to UK residents only.
- Hartley Botanic reserves the right to publish the winner’s name and general location (i.e. city or county) on its website and on social media.
- There are no cash alternatives to the prizes.
- This competition is not open to employees of Hartley Botanic.
- Entry to the competition is made through writing a comment on this blog post only. This comment should contain your best eco-friendly garden tip. You do not have to sign up to comment; you can post as a guest, making it extra easy to enter.
- If a winner does not respond within 14 days of being contacted by us, the prize will be forfeited and Hartley Botanic will be within its rights to draw a new winner.
- You may enter the competition as many times as you like; each tip must be unique from your other entries.
- Digging Deep in the Garden: Book one (Earth-friendly Books, ISBN 9780993268335, paperback RRP £4.99) is available to purchase from Amazon